Fascism, Anyone? Google Chief Likely for Cabinet Post
by Zen Gardner
If this isn’t evidence of corporate collusion at work, nothing is. Mussolini captured the essence of this kind of corporatocracy in a little word that once had a negative connotation. Does it any more?
The marriage of government and corporations is defined as fascism.
Here’s the news:
Treasury Secretary Google?
Already a winner on the business front for his support and guidance to President Obama and his reelection campaign, there is growing speculation that Google Chairman Eric Schmidt is in line for an even bigger payoff: secretary of either Treasury or Commerce or a new “secretary of business” slot.
Cabinet shakeup watchers have focused on Schmidt and his Yoda status in the Obama reelection campaign, Google’s massive $1.9 million to Democrats in the election, and the administration’s efforts to quiet a potential Federal Trade Commission investigation of Google as key signs that the president wants Schmidt in the cabinet.
“Nobody’s better positioned for a Cabinet job, if he wants one,” said a Democratic strategist.
Since Obama ran for national office, Google has been there with money and advice. Way back in 2007, Obama visited Google HQ and said, “What we shared is a belief in changing the world from the bottom up, not from the top down.”
Ever since, it’s been a match made in heaven. MORE
Over the Top, A Long Time Ago
It’s off the charts. Just look at how far the revolving door and inter-twined relationship goes.
NSA Hides Google Ties As DARPA Director Takes Google Job
As the NSA tries to cover up its ties with Google, in a potential widespread spying scandal, DARPA Director Regina Dugan is leaving the Pentagon to take a post at Google.
In the midst of what looks likes a massive spying scandal between the National Security Agency and Google, similar to the NSA’s partnership with AT&T to spy on all phone calls placed within the US, we learn today that the Director of the Pentagon’s Premiere Research Lab, DARPA, is stepping down to take a “senior executive position” at Google.
Just three days ago, news hit the wire that the Department of Justice had asked US Federal courts to keep any partnerships between Google and the NSA secret. MORE
The Fascist States of America
And this is just a couple of agencies. Monsanto grads run the FDA, Goldman Sachs cronies run the treasury department, and the list goes on and on. The fascism is at full throttle.
And if you think calling it fascism is going too far, considering its sordid record in past regimes, it’s time you had an eye opener:
The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism
Dr. Lawrence Britt has examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes. He found 14 defining characteristics common to each:
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism – Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights – Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of “need.” The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause – The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial, ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.
4. Supremacy of the Military – Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.
5. Rampant Sexism – The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.
6. Controlled Mass Media – Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.
7. Obsession with National Security – Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined – Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government’s policies or actions.
9. Corporate Power is Protected – The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.
10. Labor Power is Suppressed – Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts – Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment – Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption – Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
14. Fraudulent Elections – Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
Any questions, America?
What more can be said? What more needs to be said?
“If you’re not free to follow life’s signs and live in synchronicity, you’re not free.” – Zen